Friday, October 29, 2010

Giant Silk Moths


We have a masquerade show at poethouse tonight, and as usual I am finishing up my piece at the last minute. I honestly wasn't even sure that I would be able to come up with a mask by today, but now (fingers crossed!) it looks like I am going to have a fun mask to wear and auction off tonight.

When I was brainstorming for this project I was trying to think of animals that look like they are made of silk, and an image of a Luna Moth popped into my head. I google image searched "giant moths" and was absolutely blown away by the beauty and abundance of different types of giant moths that are out there. I thought that it was rather serendipidous that the family of moths that the Luna Moth comes from is actually called giant silk moths. Thanks to Wikipedia for educating me on this fascinating family of moths: "The Cecropia Moth (Hyalophora cecropia) is North America's largest native moth. It is a member of the Saturniidae family, or giant silk moths. Females with a wingspan of 130 mm or more have been documented."

setting the dye on my moth wings


Hopefully by tonight I will be masquerading as a cecropia moth!


No comments:

Post a Comment